What is GLACIER?
GLACIER is a nonresident alien tax compliance system designed to allow institutions to efficiently and effectively collect information, make tax residency and treaty determinations, manage paperwork, maintain data, and file reporting statements with the IRS. Texas A&M University will be using this web-based tool to insure tax compliance on payments made to foreign nationals.
NOTE: Departments making payments to TAMU (M-PIN) Employees should follow the GLACIER Password request procedures provided by University Payroll Services.
Please also note that only individuals receiving payment for services need to access GLACIER. Payments for Travel expenses with receipts do not require this information.
Requesting a GLACIER Password for Guest Speakers/Independent Contractors/Royalty Recipients
- Send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org and include the following information in your email:
- Visitor's first, middle, and last name
- Visitor's email address (please indicate if case sensitive)
- Paying department name
- Dates of Visit if applicable
- Brief description of service; i.e. speaker fee, royalty.
- Anticipated Visa Type
- Country of residence and country of tax residence (if different)
- Date invitation was accepted by invited guest
- Legible copy of I-94
- Legible copy of visa stamp in passport
- Letter of consent if J-1 visa holder
- DS2019 ifs J-1 visa holder
- Tax Summary Report (formerly History of Presence Form)
- W-7 Form (if individual needs to apply for ITIN )
- 8233 Form or W8BEN Form (if visitor is eligible for tax treaty)
- Honoraria Statement (only required for B1/B2 and WB/WT visa holders)
- Royalty Statement (only required for royalty recipients)
- Letter of Consent from sponsoring university (for J-1 visa holders)
- W-9 Form (if resident alien)
- Certificate of Foreign Status form (needed to enter individual into FAMIS vendor listing)
Note: GLACIER may place a "HOLD" on the visitor's record for various reasons and not allow the tax treaty. If GLACIER puts a HOLD on the record, please do the following:
- Contact IR Auditor via email at email@example.com to ensure that she is available to review the documents. Then, fax the following to (979) 458-4276 for treaty eligibility determination.
- Required document copies (these will be listed on the GLACIER Tax Summary Report)
- Copy of Passport
Departments may obtain additional information on the need for individuals who are not U.S. citizens or Permanent Residents to enter data through GLACIER by reviewing GLACIER FAQ's on the Payroll Services website.
To set up Foreign Vendors in FAMIS please contact Brandi at firstname.lastname@example.org.